Friday, February 20, 2009

My 2nd Cousin Ryan...

Dear Diary,

Happy Belated Valentine's Day! So wow it's been so long since I've written...over a month now!! I have to really try & be better at blogging more on a regular basis!!

So I'm a bit sad because I found out that my 6 yr. old second cousin...Ryan..doesn't know how to read. He's in 1st grade & the other kids in his class are learning to read. Ryan can't even read small words. In Kindergarden, his teacher said he was very bright but then why doesn't he know or at least be learning to read??? Well, my cousin; Carrie says that he has to go to a behavior modification program for 3 hours a day during school. Why can't he go after school was my question. She said "he can't because it's through the school district". I think it's wrong for his school to send him to another program when he could be in school learning what he needs to get along in this world & one is knowing how to read!!!

What aggravates me even more is the fact that my cousin-his mom won't get him any help..not a tutor, teacher, or somebody that can help Ryan learn to read after school or something. She just doesn't really care.

Ryan is in a program for his behavior due to the fact that he doesn't get attention from his mom that he so desperately needs so he acts out at school & gets in all kinds of trouble. Last year when he was in Kindergarden, he was suspended from school like 3 times for calling his teacher a b****, biting another kid, & running out of the school yard. He never had any discipline when he was younger..never went to preschool.

My cousin is a recovering herione addict & I can't even begin to imagine what Ryan has seen in his years of life. I know though that he has seen her shoot up...among other things. He's been in foster care for a few years & she was able to get him back.

The bottem line is my cousin Carrie needs to step up to the plate & be a mother to him because that is what he needs & wants is a mom. She needs to give him attention & love so he knows that his mom does care about him. If she truly loves her son...she would do anything to help him learn to read.

My fear is for Ryan's future if he doesn't know how to read...please keep Ryan in your prayers & his mom Carrie-to step up to the plate & be a mother to him.

Thank You!!

Peace, Love, & Jesus,
~*Kelly*~

No comments: