Friday, January 16, 2009

Last Week's Devotional(1/7/09)

Dear Diary,

I wrote my first devotional ever & sent it out to all my friends by email. I wanted to post it here too. Maybe someone reading this might benefit from it. I plan to do weekly devotionals about what I'm learning or what is on my heart at the time..however, this week I'm not feeling good so next week will be my next devotional. I have a nasty cold...so if you can pray for me to feel better. That would be great & I would appreciate it so much!!

James 4:1-10
"Drawing Close to God" is the title of this part of the scripture in James 4. I've been thinking about revival in the Lord & prayed about my own revival. I wanted to be shown what I need to do to revive my relationship with Christ. God answered my prayer...I need to draw closer to God in everything in my life. So I wanted to share this with all of you.

James 4:1-3
These verses talk about how we as believers should not want more then what we have as far as possessions, more money, higher status, more recognition, ect. These can cause conflicts within ourselves & can turn to fighting/scheming to get what we want. Instead of wanting more of our desires...we should submit ourselves to God & trust Him to give us what we really need. Prayer is the ultimate way of asking for what we need. Your prayers will become more powerful when you allow God to change your desires so that they perfectly correspond to His will for you(1 John 3:21,22). God wants you to have a pleasurable life but remember that pleasure that keeps you from pleasing God is sinful-always keep God as the center of your life. God alway provides for us but in His timing. We just have to be patient. I find peace in my heart to know that God will always take care of me & that I don't need to worry about anything.

James 4:4-6
This scripture teaches us about pride & humility. Pride tends to make you self centered & you think you deserve everything the world has to offer. God opposes those that are prideful & favors those that are humble. The best way to humble yourself in God's eyes is to understand that all we need is God's approval. Being filled with the Holy Spirit has shown me that my desires are selfish & cheap. I can find true happiness in God & what He has to offer me.

James 4:7-10
God & the devil are at war constantly but the good news is that God has ALREADY defeated satan(Revelation 12:10-12) & when Christ returns..satan & all he stands for will be eliminated forever!!!! Until then we just need to resist satan with the Holy Spirit's power & he will flee from us.

So how can we draw closer to God?
1. Humble yourselves before God-Yield to His authority & will for your life. Commit your life to Him & His control. Be willing to follow Him.
2. Resist the devil-Don't allow satan to entice & tempt you to do what you know is not pleasing to God because it is a sin.
3. Wash your hands & purify your hearts-this means to lead a pure life. Be cleansed from sin-replacing your desire to sin with your desire to experience God's purity.
4. Let there be sorrow & deep grief for your sins-don't be afraid to express deep heartfelt sorrow for what you have done.
5. Humble yourselves before the Lord & He will lift you up in honor.

Being humble before the Lord recognizes that our worth comes from God alone. To be humble...you must lean on His power & guidance-not going your own independent way. Always involve God in everything you do in your life.

If any of you need to "revive" your relationship with Christ...I encourage you to do so. It is the most refreshing experience with the Lord that I've had.

PRAISE GOD!!!!! HE LOVES US SO MUCH & WANTS ONLY THE BEST FOR HIS CHILDREN.

LOVE U ALL!!!

God Bless!
~*Kelly*~

No comments: